It’s A Big Fat Lie! πŸ«

Obesity is fast-becoming one of the biggest problems in North America. According to a report written by Stats Canada, “In 2018, 26.8% of Canadians 18 and older (roughly 7.3 million adults) reported height and weight that classified them as obese. Another 9.9 million adults (36.3%) were classified as overweight – bringing the total population with increased health risks due to excess weight to 63.1% in 2018.” That’s a pretty horrible statistic! That means that more than half and almost three quarters of the Canadian population falls under a category associated with obesity. Scary.

There are some obvious problems and exceptions with this total, however. As I’ve written about before, the first problem is with a tool known as BMI. BMI, or Body Mass Index, takes a person’s weight and divides it by the square of the person’s height. Unless assessed by a health professional, the readings can provide a false shadow on an otherwise healthy person.

For example, I happen to have a BMI of 32.1, which falls under the obese category. Anyone who has ever seen me in person could definitely confirm that I am not obese! BMI fails to take body mass, age, muscle and pregnancy or bodily changes. This means that if you visit Dr. Google for your BMI calculations, you’ll likely starve yourself into depression thinking that you’re obese!

The reason I bring up obesity is because I read a post by a fellow blogger who discussed this very thing. I took note of the fact that he wrote that obesity can be a cause of Type-2 Diabetes and I sincerely appreciated the fact that he took the time to make the discernation. Especially since obesity DOES NOT cause Type-1 Diabetes. You hear that, world? OBESITY DOES NOT CAUSE TYPE-1 DIABETES!!!! (Takes deep, calming breaths…)

Just to clarify, even if I’ve done so multiple times before, Type-1 Diabetes is an autoimmune disease in which the body destroys the insulin-producing cells in one’s body, preventing the processing of glucose. It can have a genetic component and has often been referred to as “Juvenile Diabetes” due to the fact that most sufferers are diagnosed quite early in life. That being said, it is possible for a person to contract Type-1 Diabetes much later in life. My father is an example of this.

Type-2 Diabetes is essentially an increased form of insulin resistance where the body still produces insulin, but the body is either “less” able to use it or unable to do so. Obesity has been directly linked as a factor behind this insulin resistance, which is why people so readily associated obesity with Diabetes.

Although there have been some studies related to wether or not obesity has any effect on someone with Type-1, it’s almost the opposite for the two types… Type-1 Diabetes can LEAD to obesity, of a number of different reasons. Obesity is one of the direct causes of Type-2 Diabetes. Make sense?

One of my biggest pet-peeves is how many times I’ve told someone I have Diabetes, only to have them look me up and down and say, “But you’re not fat!” One does not necessarily have anything to do with the other. It’s important to make the discernation between the two types and use them correctly.

Last but not least, here’s the page to Stats Canada and WebMD, if anyone wants to check them out ☯:

Published by

Shawn

I am a practitioner of the martial arts and student of the Buddhist faith. I have been a Type 1 Diabetic since I was 4 years old and have been fighting the uphill battle it includes ever since. I enjoy fitness and health and looking for new ways to improve both, as well as examining the many questions of life. Although I have no formal medical training, I have amassed a wealth of knowledge regarding health, Diabetes, martial arts as well as Buddhism and philosophy. My goal is to share this information with the world, and perhaps provide some sarcastic humour along the way. Welcome!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s